Monday, March 06, 2006

Holly Hobbie


As a girl I really liked Holly Hobbie. I had a Holly Hobbie coat. I had Holly Hobbie sheets and bedspread. I don't remember much beyond that.

This past Saturday morning I was at the gym and on the Saturday Morning cartoon commercials I saw one for a video of Holly Hobbie and friends or something. I was saddened that society seems to be out of original ideas and has to "revamp" toys that were already great to begin with (Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony, you get the idea).




I THEN visit THIS SITE , anxious to learn more about the "new" Holly Hobbie, and there is a button in the top left corner instructing me to meet her "very cool great grandmother". You read that right... GREAT GRANDMOTHER!! I click on the button, which whisks me away to many, many years ago, faaaarrr back in time, to this site, where I meet my old friend , the original Holly Hobbie from my childhood. I'm 32 years old, and I played with the current Holly Hobbie's great grandmother. Super. Let's see... if my math is correct, that means that my generation's Holly had to get pregnant when she was a fetus or something.

*In defense of the new Holly Hobbie, she is at least cute, and not slutty like some of the other dolls put out today. My main beef is just that we need some ORIGINAL ideas!!!

Seriously...




1 comment:

mysimsreality said...

Hi, it's just me, Ephemera, from MTS2. I just wanted to say that I was a Holly Hobbie fan too (still am), and was ecstatic to see your post and to follow the link to American Greetings! For years, I'd been searching for items other than stationery and now, thanks to you, I've found them. Anywho, I agree with the points you wrote about in your post: we really do need more original ideas in a lot of areas of the arts instead of rehashing things that were already wonderful or unique to begin with. :)