Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Charles is God


This morning I was watching Scrubs on Comedy Central before taking my son to school. If you watch Scrubs you may know that Ted the lawyer has a barbershop quartet thing going on. This morning they sang the theme song to Charles in Charge twice.

My son, Shane, has never seen an episode of Charles in Charge I guess. I don't know how, though, because it used to be on any given channel at any given time of day for a few years.

Anyway, I'm sure you know the theme song (feel free to break out into song, whether you are at work or not):

New boy in the neighborhood
Lives downstairs and it is understood.
He’s there just to take good care of me,
Like he’s one of the family.

Charles in Charge
Of our days
and our nights
Charles in Charge
Of our wrongs
and our rights

And I sing,
I want, I want
Charles in Charge of me.

My son asks me, "so, is Charles supposed to be God or something? Because he's in charge of our days and our nights, our wrongs and our rights?"

I proceeded to explain the plot of the show. It's this guy in college... blah blah blah...

Anyway, I just thought that was kinda funny. Charles is God.

And... as I was looking for an image to accompany this post, I remembered how much I loved Scott Baio as a girl. Somewhere between Rick Springfield and Ricky Schroeder... definitely during Joanie loves Chachi, I loved Chachi. Joanie was a bitch.

I even had his album. Yes, he had an album. Scott Baio. This link even has one of the songs from the album, you know, if you must hear it.

Here is a picture of the album. It came out before Thriller. Maybe I had a thing for this pose. Maybe Michael Jackson ripped off Scott Baio's pose. Hmm....

8 comments:

Coffeypot said...

…remembered how much I loved Scott Baio as a girl. I never knew he was a girl. Did he/she have the operation or did he just dress like one. I learn something new every day from the blogging community.

And he and MJ look alike, too, on the album covers. That was before Scott had gray hair and Michael was white.

Anonymous said...

Btw, Nick has the Scott Baio CD. He plays it CONSTANTLY. It's really putting a strain on our marriage...

Atomic Dave said...

Wow, it all makes sense now! Charles IS God! And that album cover cracks me up!

Some Guy said...

Agreed, Joanie WAS a bitch. My friends gave me that album one year for my birthday as a gag. I'm pretty sure we melted in an old Weber grill.

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

I'm guessing the same person designed both those album covers. So diverse and talented.

Valerie said...

blatant plagiarism on the album covers.

have you heard the story that "Joanie Loves Chachi" was the most popular show in Korea, because "Chachi" is slang for "penis?"

Don't know if that's an urban legend, but I like that story.

Scarlet said...

If it wasn't for the writing...which album belongs to whom?

I always remember the song by the Beastie Boys "Hey Ladies" and the line "I'm not James at 15 or Chachi in Charge"

lol

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Mmm...Scott Baio. My favorite role of his: Bob Lablaw (say it out loud to yourself; it's hilarious), the lawyer on Arrested Development.

And those album covers are very different. You can see where both of Scott's hands are. Where is Michael's right hand? That is the question of the ages.