Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Dear Paula Deen


I don't watch your show much on Food Network. I like some of your recipes, and I really love your voice and your southern drawl... I kind of want to crawl into your lap with one of your cookies and have you read me a story before tucking me in and wishing me sweet dreams.

I tried one of your recipes, and I have to say I'm surprised I'm able to tell about it now.

Here is the recipe (in case any of my readers want to increase their cardiac arrest chances):



Peanut Butter Cheese Fudge

1/2 pound sliced easy-melt cheese
(recommended: Velveeta)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup creamy peanut
butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts
2 (16-ounce)
boxes confectioners' sugar


Lightly spray the bottom of a 9 by 2-inch
square pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt
cheese and butter together, then add peanut butter and stir until smooth. Remove
from heat and add vanilla and nuts.
Empty confectioners' sugar into a large
bowl and pour cheese mixture over sugar. Stir until completely mixed. Candy will
be very stiff.

Using your hands, remove candy from the bowl and press
evenly and firmly into the pan. Because of the amount of butter in this recipe,
pat top of candy with a paper towel to remove excess oil. Place the pan in
refrigerator until candy is firm.

To serve, cut into squares.

What possessed me to try this??? I really have no clue. I saw it on your show once, while I was in Wisconsin for my grandmothers funeral. Then, one day I just felt like this recipe was calling me or something.

My kids kind of watched in horror as I prepared this "fudge"... I even watched in horror as I prepared it. Was I really doing this? Was I really going to eat this?

I did. I ate it. My kids ate it. It was.... kind of good. It was soooooooooooooo sweet that I should have had not only a cardiologist standing by, but also probably a dentist.

I will NOT be recommending this to anyone, Paula.

I just thought you should know.

Sincerely,

Amy

6 comments:

Tanya Espanya said...

Blerch! Peanut butter and cheese and sugar? Sounds dreadful.

I must go prepare it right away.

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge Paula fan. I even get her newsletter - I'm such an old lady (just turned 32 :)) I've tried a lot of her recipes, but could never bring myself to try that cheese fudge one. It's just wrong. She did get me to try a pumpkin recipe. I hate pumpkin, but her Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes are killer (literally). It's Heaven on a plate and if you eat enough of it, you'll get there fast too.

Fantastagirl said...

Cheese and Peanut Butter? I couldn't do it, just couldn't.

You should try Rachel Ray's Fudge... it's very very good.

Writeprocrastinator said...

Wow, you are so brave...




I mean that...




really...




...what's your encore, a bungee-jump down the Transamerica Pyramid? Dang. I hope you have a defibulator (sp?) at hand.

Anonymous said...

I like her as well but I'm scared to make anything of hers for fear it will kill me.

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

It sounds to me, Amy, that you just did recommend it. I'll make it for my memorial day cook-out.