Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Vacations...

Spring break is happening all across the country right about now.

My family never took vacations during Spring break. We only vacationed during the summer.

We never flew anywhere, either... unless a funeral was involved. It was always a trip in the car.

We lived in Colorado, and our family lived in Wisconsin and Ohio. This particular memory involves a trip back to Ohio (Wooster).

My "dad" had just restored a 1949 Dodge Pickup. It was a pretty maroon color. He put a cap on the bed, and also put a soft, carpeted board back there. This is where my brother and I would spend most of the trip. Super-fun.



I was 9, and my brother is younger, so we fit back there fine, but it still kinda sucked being back there. I had my walkman (I think I wore out my Huey Lewis and the News Sports! tape), some books (probably mostly Judy Blume) and some paper to write (like that was gonna happen).

We got out to Ohio fine, and had a grand time visiting my grandparents and aunt and uncle. The way back was a different story.

Some part of the truck gave out. I think we were in Illinois somewhere. Stuck there for 3 days. All I really remember is spending a lot of time at McDonalds because they had a playground. I got sick after eating a lot of ice cream and having my brother spin me around on the Mayor McCheese merry-go-round. It was fun spinning, though! I think we took home about 3 sets of 1984 Olympic mugs.


I guess the part finally got replaced, or at least jerry-rigged enough to get us home. We did have some more trouble when we were almost home, but whatever happened we made it home that night.

No one liked that truck much after that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got a not-fun traveling story. Okay. So me, "dad", his girlfriend and her son were on a road trip. I started to get carsick. I leaned forward to tell dad I needed to get out, and I ended up puking all over his girlfriend. On her clothes, her lap, and her hair. She pushed me away and I started to say something to "dad" and I threw up all over him. We hit a bump and I fell back into the backseat and then threw up all over her son. I also shit my pants...
MAN, what a trip THAT was.

Anonymous said...

What??? I almost believe that, except the pants part.

If it's true it must have been the best vacation ever, because I know how much you like your "dad".

Bob said...

I want that truck!! I've been wanting a 1940's pickup for years.

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Wooster is just a hop skip and a jump from where I live!

Valerie said...

Maybe it's the McDonald's with a playland that I went to a few times, as a child...on North Avenue (I think) in the Western Suburbs?


...this entry is clearing up some writer's block!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure, Valerie. The name "Valencia" rings a bell...