Friday, January 12, 2007

I was going to write about a song that makes me cry...


...but I'll spare you all. Instead, you get to hear about my short Air Force career, because coffeypot wanted to know more. And sorry to disappoint you, coffeypot, but I have NO war stories.


First, I'm not exactly sure what compelled me to join the Air Force, except that I was a regular visitor to the Air Force Academy, frequently skipping school to go there and watch "noon formation". I think I just did this one too many times, and became hypnotized by the Air Force song. Also, my grandpa was in the Air Force in WWII... and this was the year of the first Gulf War, so there was a "duty to my country" feeling happening there. And lets not forget the fact that I really had no fucking clue what else I was going to do after high school anyway.

I've already told you a couple of stories about Basic Training (here and here). Looking back Basic Training was not that bad, and I became a stronger and better person because of it.

After Basic Training was Tech School at Chanute Air Force Base in Rantoul, Illinois.

Tech School went in "phases". Lets see if I can recall them...

1st phase- you could only wear your uniform or squadron sweats. You could go anywhere on base (if you left the squadron you had to be in uniform), but there was a curfew. Lots of people went bowling or to the movies.
2nd phase- you could only wear your uniform or squadron sweats (again, had to be in uniform if you went outside). You could leave base, but again, there was a curfew.

3rd phase- FINALLY! Civilian clothes could be worn. You could go wherever you wanted (within a 200 mile radius or something), there was a curfew on weeknights, but not on the weekends.


There was a 4th phase, too... but most people weren't there long enough to reach it. And, if you ever got in trouble, they had no problem putting you back to 1st phase (but I was an angel).

There were a couple of cab companies... Corky's and Radio... and it was pretty cheap to get a ride off base. Places I liked to go were to the mall in the nearby city of Champaign, Alexander's Steakhouse, and I really wanted to go to a bar called O'Malleys (I think) where they had some... thing.. called "The Wall", but I was underage. Also, Monacle's Pizza (I think that was the name) was awesome.

In case you were wondering, I went to Tech School to become a weather observer. Perhaps I'll tell you about this crucial job in another post.


After Tech School I was off to see the world! Where did I end up, you ask? Ida-fucking-ho. Mountain Home AFB. Wow. Exciting. NOT. And, honestly, I have nothing great to tell you about my time there at all. It really was a pretty boring place. You had to drive 50 miles to Boise for any excitement at all. And nothing exciting happened that was weather related, either. Once, the base had a training exercise, but I was exempt because I was pregnant... so that was kinda cool. I didn't have to follow all the pretend rules, or put on my chemical warfare gear when there was a pretend chemical attack, and get all hot and sweaty and uncomfortable.

Oh, there was one time that I got to ride in the belly of a fueling plane... that was cool!!


Then my first son was born and I got out... almost 14 years ago.◘m<--courtesy of Bogey.

So... tune in next time for a very special Mish Mash about the song that makes me cry. Or don't, it's really up to you.

4 comments:

Teri said...

If it helps, my sister was stationed in Cheyenne, Wyoming during her final stages in the Air Force.

Cheyenne, Wyoming the second most boringest place on the planet...next to Ida-fuckin-ho

Coffeypot said...

Thanks for the answer. I bet it was cool watching the cadets at the AFA. I joined the Navy because:
1) I was 17 years old and couldn’t get a real job because the draft was in place and because, as soon as I turned 18, I would be drafted. Thus prospective employers did not think I was a very good investment.
2) My two older brothers were in the Navy.
3) I did not need to be at home any longer than was necessary. I wasn’t a bad kid. I was just too immature and misunderstood. My dad and mom were 43 and 39 when I was born. A totally different generation.
4) I did not want to sleep in tents, walk in the rain and snow or do all the physical stuff.

I am glad I served, though, and I am proud of you for giving it a try.

Anonymous said...

"..and I am proud of you for giving it a try."

Thanks, coffeypot. That's very kind of you to say :)

And I'd say those were good reasons to join the Navy. I'm sure number 4 was part of my reasoning, too!

Anonymous said...

Teri- yeah, I've been through Cheyenne... I just couldn't stay because my head was spinning from all the excitement!!